25 November 2010

And my other family...

...before I was part of my favorite family of 4, I was part of a family of 5.  We weren't perfect--dear God, nowhere near.  Many days I would have traded with any number of my friends, truth be told.  But as I get older, I realize just how much of me--good and bad, that's how it works--was shaped by my family.



I can't believe it's been 2 years since we took this picture (really it was Dad's birthday 2 years ago, not Thanksgiving)...I can't believe this is the 2nd Thanksgiving we'll celebrate without Dad in the kitchen.  I can't believe it's been 19 months since I've talked to him.  I can't believe a lot of things...but I remember, and for today that will be enough.  I'm thankful for the memories, and for reminders of where we've been and what we've done and what's important.

Big hugs to you guys who are missing someone today, too.

No comments: