15 July 2010

What's Old is New Again...


My oldest niece turned 16 a couple of weeks ago. For her gift, I wanted to do something special to honor the big occasion. This is my niece who loves anything vintage (of course, and this is another post, when I went "vintage" shopping with her, she ended up buy several things that I wore...in High School. Sigh.), and I decided that my Grandma's old jewelry box would be perfect for Keely. It was brown with gold and red details...mostly mustardy gold...so it needed a bit of a facelift. I thought that would be a great statement for such a big occasion, to take something from the past and make it work in the present and into the future. I picked black with Tiffany Blue since those are the colors of Keely's room, and I figure she can redo it someday if she'd like. Now, it's me, and what's in my head never quite works out exactly...but I'm still happy with how it turned out. Could the paint job have been cleaner? Yup. And once again, I forgot to take a "before" picture. I've GOT to start remembering that!

Oh, and the frame next to it--several years ago, my Grandma gave me a pair of picture frames. I use one as a white board in my kitchen (I put white paper behind the glass), and I left it the original kind of rubbed-off antique white and metal. The second frame has been in storage for years, and when I started on Keely's birthday gift I thought I'd throw this in. So I painted it black and used the same paper I used to fill in the windows of the jewelry box. Keely can put a picture in it and use it as a frame, or get a chalk marker and use it for a memo board. I hope she thinks it's as cool as I think it is!

No comments: