08 July 2011

Small World


I sang "It's a Small World" in the school talent show when I was in 3rd grade.  Did you know that?  Probably not...I wasn't then, nor am I now, a good singer.  :D  But I did it.  To this day, it's a song that I can't even think about without it getting stuck in my head all day.  It's on my mind this morning...yesterday I missed *another* call from a good friend, then got her voicemail when I returned it.  That's been our mode of communication this summer, it seems.  I feel like an explanation is in order:  it's summer, when my world gets very, very small.  For some reason, that means my focus narrows until pretty much all I see are those three faces above...summer is all about family time, being together, doing nothing or doing something.  It's about being quiet, or being loud...or just being.  I don't make a lot of plans during the summer because, as a friend said yesterday, I don't like to be tied down.  I like to be able to go where the day takes us.  And, theoretically, summer is about getting some projects done around the house.  It's not about me--I'm horrible at keeping up with friends during the summer, because I don't have the time during the day to e-mail, text, facebook, talk on the phone.  I just don't--my kids are my priority from 8-5, and then it's family time.  Before 8, well, that's my quiet time.  At least it's supposed to be--I fell out of the habit while we were traveling and man, can I tell.  I got back on that horse this week and I feel so much better...but I'm off-topic.  That's a different post.

This summer is just flying by.  It's been a good summer, but please don't ask what we've been doing...I couldn't tell you!  I know my kids are just exhausted...I think the going to bed late has us all off-track.  So today we may just hang around at home.  Or we might hit the road.  I just don't know.  I do know that I promised myself I'd read "Made to Crave" this morning before the kids got up...so it's off I go to finish course checks and do that.

I just wanted to take a second to say, friends, it's not you--it's me.  But don't worry, August is just around the corner and I'll have all kinds of time while I'm commuting to catch up.  I still love you big!

No comments: