30 November 2008

Grateful

It's the most wonderful time of the year, and this year we are especially grateful for our many blessings.  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I'm happy to report that even with all of the family blending, a good time was had by all.  If there were hurt feelings, I'm unaware (and would like to stay that way!).  It was just a great day.  Marsha posted pics this morning--don't know if the link will work, but here it is: 
http://www.kodakgallery.com/auntmarsh/main/thanksgiving_with_the_clarksons_and_pharaons

Friday was another great day--very relaxed, but lots of fun.  Mom & Dad were here, and we went to Martin Farms to get our tree and basically just hung out.  Kayci, James and I went to storage for our Christmas decorations and were all sufficiently freaked out by the big ol' snakeskin in our storage unit...I assume it's a rattlesnake who came in out of the cold, and if it outgrew the snakeskin we found, I surely don't want to run into it.  So, we're being cautious for a while and will stick to the front of our storage unit.  Yikes!  We did venture back to Bellville for a yummy dinner at the Golden Pagoda, and had a blast afterwards doing the Christmas tree.  We take our time, opening each ornament and talking about where/who it came from or why it's important to our family, then Kayci puts each one on the tree.  She rocked it this year; Grandma was impressed at how Kayci spaces the ornaments out, front and back, high and low. I love, love our Christmas tree--it truly tells the story of our little family, and our big families, as well.  It's not perfect, of course, and many probably wouldn't call it beautiful, but we love it.  The paper chain Kayci made last year was the finishing touch, and just makes it for me.  After the tree, Grandma and Kayci worked on the annual gingerbread house, and when I had to help, well, hilarity ensued.  We saved the best for last--our family of 4 fell asleep in our bed watching A Christmas Story.  It's a day after Thanksgiving tradition, after all...although the bed is usually either in Marble Falls or Fredericksburg.  :)

Yesterday was another relaxing day; Grandma, Noble & I went to Target to wrap up some shopping and everyone else visited the museum here in Brenham.  Afterwards, Grandma and Grandpa decided to hit the road.  The 4 of us took an almost 3 hour nap--wow!  After Friday night's 11:00 bedtime, I'm not surprised.  We got up from our nap and worked on decorating a bit more, then watched Elf and enjoyed some great soup and cornbread.  Noble fell asleep by 8, which left James, Kayci and I to cuddle on the couch and remember Christmases past, when it was truly just the 3 of us.  I love, love being a family of 4 and everything Noble brings to our lives, but I also have great memories of being a family of 3.  I think it did Kayci good to revisit that a bit last night, and to have some undivided attention.  And after we put her to bed, James and I got to snuggle on the couch...that was pretty great, too.  :)  

These past few days have been wonderful, but a little bittersweet.  For the first time I can remember, my Dad didn't spend Thanksgiving day in the kitchen, and he wasn't up to making the gingerbread house with Kayci.  But he was here, and he was able to go get our tree with us and hang out while we decorated.  We went out to eat several times and even took a trip to Lowe's...for Dad, this was a big ol' weekend.  I think it did him good to be here and be around the kids.  Nope, I know it did.  And I know it did Mom good, as well.  I'm looking forward to more time like this with Ronny's family in a few weeks.  In everything, the feeling that has nearly overwhelmed me is just...grateful.  We are blessed--I am blessed.   And I'm grateful for every day that I get with my family, big and small.  

This morning has been pretty quiet--James and I woke up early with Noble so we opted to stay in bed and watch a movie (seriously, haven't watched this much TV in ages!!) this morning rather than go to early church...then we've been having so much fun just piddling and playing this morning that we missed 11:00 church, too.  After Noble went down for a nap, I thought I'd sit down and blog for just a minute, and this song came on--it very much captures where I'm at today.  

Your Faithfulness
--Brian Doerksen

I don't know what this day will bring
Will it be disappointing, filled with longed for things?
I don't know what tomorrow holds
Still I know I can trust Your faithfulness

I don't know if these clouds mean rain
If they do, will they pour down blessing or pain?
I don't know what the future holds
Still I know I can trust Your faithfulness

Certain as the rivers reach the sea
Certain as the sunrise in the east
I can rest in your faithfulness
Surer than a mother's tender love
Surer than the stars still shine above
I can rest in your faithfulness

I don't know how or when I'll die
Will it be a thief, or will I have a chance to say goodbye?
No, I don't know how much time is left
But in the end, I will know your faithfulness

When darkness overwhelms my soul
When thoughts and storms of doubt
Still I trust You are always faithful, always faithful

Certain as the rivers reach the sea
Certain as the sunrise in the east
I can rest in your faithfulness
Surer than a mother's tender love
Surer than the stars still shine above
I can rest in your faithfulness

I don't know what this day will bring
Will it be disappointing, filled with longed for things?
I don't know what tomorrow holds
Still I know I can trust Your faithfulness

No comments: