05 April 2011

A Little Grace

Grace is something I struggle with...a lot.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE grace.  It's by God's grace I'm saved, and I revel in His grace each and every day, all day.  I'm forever telling friends and co-workers, "give yourself a little grace," and I mean it.  But, as always seems to be the case, where I run out of grace to give is where I need it most:  at home.

It's easy to give grace when they're cute...and out of my way when I'm busy at meetings and such.


It's easy to give grace when they wait patiently while I drag them around with me at Warrenton.


It's easy to give grace when I look up and see how beautiful she is...breathtaking.


It's easy to give grace when we're playing around.  Most of the time--I can only take so much before I run out of patience.  Sad, but true.



Here's the kicker:  it's EASY to give grace even when she gives me "that look" or gets a little sassy, as little girls do...but often, I choose not to.  Instead I get grumpy when she's less than practically perfect in every way.


Let's not even start on the little knucklehead.  Luckily, I can laugh...most of the time.  The rest of the time?  I need to work on the grace.


I think about this all the time and I feel like I'm constantly working on it...and then promptly forget what I've learned and committed to as soon as something goes wrong.  But not today (she said, which shifted something in her universe and turned her children into hellions even before they awoke).  Today, I will shower my family in the same grace God offers me abundantly.  I will have kind words and keep the snarky comments inside.  I won't harp on how fast Kayci moves this morning, or if her shoes are tied to my satisfaction.  I won't fret when I take Noble out with a dirty face because he won't let me wipe it.  I won't nag James for tracking oak pollen all over the floor (like he could help it, but yep, my floors stress me out so I'm constantly griping about it).

My thought for today:

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."  Proverbs 15:1



Wish me luck!













No comments: