20 April 2011

Focus



This plaque hangs in Noble's corner of our living room. Jolie bought it for us, and we thought it was fun that it said "noble." It's been hanging there for over two years, and while I run across that verse often in my reading, this week it finally hit home (thanks, Lysa TerKeurst!).

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. 
 And the God of peace will be with you."
Philippians 4:8-9

Lysa TerKeurst drove it home with this:  "Wherever you put your focus, that will become bigger and more magnified."  Wow--that one hit me right between the eyes!  Isn't this so true?  The more I focus on work, the more and more of my time and energy and thoughts it requires...the more space it takes up in my life, even if the hours don't change.  The more I focus on negative thoughts, the bigger they become until it's hard to remember what's good and true.  The more I focus on what's wrong with something, the less I can see what's right with it...you get the idea.

**Best of intentions:  this is how I started out this morning...detoured with a whiny kiddo at breakfast and got off track for a while...and now I'm back to sitting on the floor with my Bubby (taking a break!) and not worrying so much about where the day will take us.  I know there will be time later to get that work done...but there won't be time that he's willing to sit and play and talk with me.  :)

No comments: