23 October 2009

Like a box of chocolates...

Today I have/had the whole day blocked off to be at home and just crank out some work (I need several sitting at the computer typing hours--not the most exciting, but necessary). Hmm. I blew right through my 9:00 start work deadline (Noble needed wipes for school, I found out that a friend hasn't been feeling well so I thought I'd cook some soup for them today...you know, things snowball once you get to the grocery store). Oh, and I realized that once again, it's the end of the month and I forgot to get the Teacher Appreciation Committee moving on something...so I spent a lot of time at HEB just THINKING of what I can reasonably put together for next week. You know, next week when I have to fit in a day at GP, a day at LP, oh yeah, and a day at the Renaissance Festival for Kayci's field trip. Oh, and get our family of 4 ready for the trip to Philadelphia next weekend. (By the way, congrats Phillies fans...but didja HAVE to make the World Series the one and only time I'll ever be in Philly? I'm just sayin'.) So I've got a lot on my mind this morning, but it's all good stuff. I'm going to start my work day at 10, with a short break to help out a friend. This just means I'll have to work a couple of hours tonight to finish up my billing day, but that's not a big deal, either.

Just have a lot on my mind. You know, what Amanda calls "mind chatter." I can't sit down to work until I unload some of it and can focus on the task at hand instead of the tasks I'm trying to schedule for next week. The good news is: we're home this weekend. ALL weekend. We'll make one trip to drop off a DVD for one of James' clients near Navasota, but even that should be fun in this gorgeous fall weather. And we might run through College Station to hit the bank and maybe pick up a pizza or something...who knows. The weekend is wide open! We have promised to finish our scarecrow and at least START on Kayci's tree house. And if we have time, James and I are hoping to lay out our new flower beds and figure out exactly which stones we'll use for edging and price them out...maybe we'll even bring a load home and work on it one evening next week. Or not, depending on how much time I'm in Houston. :) We'll see--that's not a big problem, having muddy ex-flower beds ringing our house. I just keep thinking how much we're going to appreciate our new and improved beds...right? Right?!

Anyway, I'm wandering. Time to wrap it up--I've got a bed to make before I go sit down to work, and a few more groceries to put away. Oh! The title...I should get there before I close. So, you know Sami dog is old. She'll be 15 in February, and she's been "old" since she was 7 (she's a big dog). So, she's old. She's started a new thing where she doesn't just bark in the morning and evening when it's time for her can of food...she barks ANYtime somebody pulls up in the driveway or by her fence. And she barks and barks and barks until she gets a can of food. She started this last week--it was lots of fun during the police stand off, let me tell ya. But today I was a little bitter about having to get out in the rain yesterday to buy more canned food because she's eating an extra can a day and I keep exactly enough on hand for 2 weeks at a time...but I digress into my OCD tendencies. We've been using a lot of dog food lately, and it's thrown me off. So she started barking when I got home a little while ago and even came around to the kitchen window to bark at me and remind me that she wanted to eat. Again. So, I thought, this has got to stop. I thought if I tricked her and put dry food (not her favorite) out in her bowl, she'd leave me alone and quit begging for food outside of meal time. Geez, this has turned into a long story--but seriously, this is the crap that's filling up my mind this morning! Anyway, so I went to get her dry dog food to take it outside. And found this in the tub.


And I thought, that Bubby...you just never know what you're gonna get. (Hence the title--keep up.) I wonder what he was doing in the dog food in the first place? Probably best not to know. But the shovel...seriously, now I wonder what I'm going to find FILLED with dog food. Again, best not to know.


And then I thought, how funny is it that I blogged this morning and included a picture of Kayci in her "Smart Girls Rule!" shirt (yeah, we do!), holding her monster. She is a smart girl, and a good girl, and a fun girl, and a beautiful girl...she makes me proud. I know you're not supposed to compare your kids, but seriously, Noble's a goofball already. I think this is going to be fun to watch, raising these knuckleheads.

Noble cracks me up...life with him is truly an adventure, because you just never know what you're gonna find. This morning we had our weekly family bakery breakfast. As we were all getting ready to leave, I asked Noble for a kiss. He shook his head and said, "mo!" (that's no) and then turned his little face up, all puckered up for a kiss. Just melted my heart. And then I got back in the car and couldn't find my phone to take a picture of Kayci...and had that "oh, crap, Noble left my phone in the restaurant !" feeling. Turns out, he'd just hidden it in one of my makeup bags in my purse...which of course I didn't discover until I drove home, went into the house to look to see if James had put my phone on to charge, found a cordless, dialed long distance to CALL my phone...which Kayci heard ringing out in the car. Sigh. Well, a sigh and a smile. That's just how it goes around here anymore--there's always something to laugh about. I guess I could get grumpy about some of the stuff, but you know, life's too short.

And I'm wearing my fuzzy pants today (the Mom-iform, velour jogging suit--I only have one that I break out on special days, and James digs it and calls them my fuzzy pants. I'll stop there.) So how can I be grumpy? And the windows are open and fall's all in my house...seriously, gotta smile and be happy and grateful.

And now I've gotta get to work! Have a fun Friday!

No comments: