17 October 2009

Hot Date




12 years ago this weekend, on the 50 yard line during the SHSU Homecoming game, James proposed. It came as a huge shock to me...that wasn't in "the plan" for another couple of years. But there on the field, I made the best decision of my life--I said "yes.". After, of course, I stopped crying. :) Since that day, not much has gone according to "the plan.".
It took us a lot of years but we finally figured out the problem--we needed to find God's plan for our life together and follow THAT...not the arbitrary roadmap of milestones and accomplishments we'd laid out for ourselves. Life isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but we are happy-and content-in a time and place where both are rare.

Which brings me to the hot date tonight. Almost exactly a year ago, we addressed an area of our lives that was out of control and causing a lot of stress...our finances. Once again, we were trying so hard to take care of everything in our way, in our time, that we were making a bigger mess of things. So we went through Financial Peace University and got really honest with ourselves about money. It's been a quick year since then...we set a deadline to be debt-free by James' 35th birthday, which is coming up a lot faster than the debt is going down, unfortunately. We're still working our plan, and part of that plan is to take in as many extra jobs as we can (without overextending ourselves or making ourselves miserable, of course). So we're at a Bluegrass Festival tonight where James is filming. It's the first time in too long that we've gone on a date...time flies these days!...so we're just enjoying some grown-up time together. He doesn't know it yet, but he's SO taking me for coffee after this. I'd really like a beer, but I'm still exhausted from last night and that would end our date real fast. :)

Thanks for a great time, Boy. Then and now, and always. How blessed am I?

- out & about, courtesy of the wonderphone

No comments: