01 July 2009

Finally, the energy fairy!!

I've been spinning my wheels this summer. While I've totally enjoyed all of the great family time, I have absolutely NOT been productive at all. That's the thing about my consultant work--it's year-round. Which is great, because the first year we lived here in Brenham I took the summer off...and learned rule #1 about working as a consultant: don't work, don't get paid. I mean, I knew that and the numbers worked out on paper--but dang, that was a lonnnnnnnnngggggg summer of sandwiches at home. :) But I digress.

The point is, this summer I've not been productive at all. As much as family time, what's been keeping me from working is the fact that my house has been disorganized, especially (okay, mainly and only) my desk in the office and my bedroom, where my main work table lives. As school ended, I piled my work stuff in front of my work closet to get to "later" and other than a quick clean-up the day of Kayci's slumber party, it's pretty well sat there. As for my bedroom, I had the bright idea that we'd have a garage sale this summer, so when we cleaned out Kayci's room I made piles of garage sale/give to Lynn/go to storage kids stuff. And then it sat there for 3 months and multiplied...sigh. Deciding NOT to have a garage sale was very freeing...as of this morning, I have 1 bag of trash, a box of recyclables, 3 bags to go to the mission, 1 bag to go to a friend who's a size smaller than Kayci, 1 bag of baby stuff for Lynn (she's not expecting...yet!) and 1 bag of Kayci/Noble stuff to store with their keepsakes. As for the toys, they're neatly sorted and stacked in the armoire in the IKEA boxes I bought...hmm. Months ago. Sigh. But the point is, today all I have to do is carry out bags and sort the last bit of Kayci's crap (she's a packrat like her mommy...all of her purses and bags are full of crayons, markers, money, play money, jewelry, lipgloss...) and then I can get to work on my table. Which means that theoretically, tomorrow I can sit at said table as I'm finishing up my Region 4 report...and then I will have accomplished my goals for the week. Heck, the summer! It feels good to finally be on the road to progress. Next stop...receipts!

No comments: