10 February 2013

Day 10: up

Today was a doozy. I intended to share a pic of Noble dressed UP...

...singing UP in front at St. Paul's this morning. He's so cute, right?? But then I opened my fortune cookie from last night's late-night Chinese dinner, and I was struck by how much this has been on my mind this week. It's so important to me to get this marriage thing, this LIFE thing, right...because I know our kids look UP to us. No pressure.

Well, then when we were getting dressed, the unthinkable happened. Noble's clothes went UP in smoke. See, he loves putting on toasty underpants and socks each morning. A while back, Daddy discovered that a few seconds in the microwave worked as well as half an hour in the dryer. And for the past few months, we've been letting Noble toast his own undies, under close supervision. Usually. But this morning I was busy trying to get to a different church on time, so I told him to go ahead. I confirmed JUST socks and undies, we're so careful about metal. It sounds crazy even telling y'all about this. Then I went back to my makeup. A couple minutes later, I smelled something burning. I hurried into the kitchen...nothing. Noble was standing there, still naked, clutching his towel. I told him to hurry up and get dressed and started checking the stove, coffeepot, looking for what was burning. I circled back around and Bubby was still standing there, clutching that towel. I asked him, thinking no...but he started crying, and my heart stopped. I grabbed the towel from him, and found smoldering socks and underwear that he was trying to smuggle into his room. Luckily, he was okay (other than yellow-stained, smoke-smelling hands), but after I made sure of that I yelled at my baby until he told me the truth about what happened. My responsible boy wanted to see what would happened if he put them in for 9-0 instead of 2-0. I'm so grateful that he's okay, and that he didn't catch anything on fire. Needless to say, he's lost toasty clothes privileges. But I am going to have him pop some popcorn tonight and get back on that horse again. Yes, I'm embarrassed telling you, but even more than that, I'm scared about what could have happened. Too many times, Noble has reminded me of what can happen in just a second, and that horrible things can happen to us, too.

Needless to say, we had a long talk and I had to remind him about how we don't hide from fire...and now I've had to add that we don't try to hide fire, either. If he had stashed those smoldering clothes in his room, there probably wouldn't be a little green house tonight. I'm thanking God tonight for protecting my Bubby today, and reminding me that as big as he is, Noble's still a little guy who needs a lot of guidance. And patience.

No comments: