01 August 2011

Hello, August!


It's that time again...time to dust off those lunchboxes and get ready for the first day of school.  I'm tempted to say the usual things one says on the first day of August, like, "where did the summer go?" But I won't--I know exactly where the summer went.  We've enjoyed it one day at a time.  :)  And for the first time in a long time, it feels like we HAD a summer.  Sure, it was busy enough that we haven't seen most of the friends we wanted to see...but there was also a lot of downtime at home for the kids and me, and that was a nice change.  So, I won't complain.  Yet...

We had a great time while James was on vacation, but yesterday was the last hurrah.  Slowly but surely, over the past week, our household has switched over from full-on summer celebrating to getting ready to head back to school.  Saturday, we went school supply shopping (ouch!), and yesterday Kayci did some school clothes shopping online. I'm trying not to be said that my big girl is going into 3rd grade (already?!) and Noble is heading into his 3 year old year (only 2 more years until kindergarten?!).  Time has just flown by these past few years.  Is that happening at your house, too?  

One big change around our house this summer has been our sleeping schedule...we have ALL been staying up way too late and then, thankfully, sleeping later in the mornings.  Since I haven't been getting up early for course checks the past two weeks, I am absolutely spoiled.  But today is the day we start bringing our routine back...I got up at 5:30 (not crazy early for me, but early enough that it hurt a little!) and we'll start bedtime a little earlier tonight.  It's time to look at our list of Kayci's birthday activities and figure out what we'll do for each of the next few weeks, and it's time to put together my August work schedule.  We'll see where today takes us...Noble was pretty coughy and snotty yesterday, but it got WAY worse while we were out fishing so I'm hoping it's just allergies.  We'll see--today might be a quiet day, and that would be okay.  

Anyway, hi, August.  I'm glad you're here, I can honestly say.  But could you slow down and stay awhile...let's not rush, 'kay?

No comments: