02 March 2011

Sand Playdough

Noble's birthday is coming up, and I've had in my head all along that we would do homemade playdough for a party favor this year.  When we decided on a pirate theme, I started researching sand playdough.  One of the things that jumped out at me over and over again--"good for children who are very tactile."  That's Noble...sign me up!

Here's the recipe I went with.  I found it on www.perpetualpreschool.com.  Thanks, Heather Davis, whoever you are!

Sand Playdough (uncooked)

4 cups clean sand
3 cups flour
1 cup water (I used more like 1 1/4-1/2 for each batch)
1/4 cup oil

Combine all ingredients together in a bowl (I keep a large plastic mixing bowl on hand specifically for art/non-edible stuff).  Knead until it forms a ball.  Add more flour if it's too wet or more water if it's too dry.  

Voila!  Pretty simple, no?  Even this dummy could do it.  So, what I found out:  the recipe came out drier than I liked, so I added water each time.  Also, it worked best when I combined the sand and flour thoroughly before adding wet ingredients.  And finally, each batch made about 8 fist-sized balls.  So I made 6 batches.  It only took me about an hour, I think...two by the time I added buried treasure (plastic coins and jewels) to each ball and bagged 'em.  It was naptime on Monday, so time kinda flew.  

I'll definitely keep this recipe on hand--it's fun to play with!  Ask Paula what went through her head when her potty-training kiddo put a wad of sand playdough into her hand the other day.  Hee hee.  

Want a sneak peek?  C'mon...all the kids are doin' it...

The box of completed favors.  The sunlight today is gorgeous!





The way the sun is shining on our white quilt, it looks like the treasure chest is floating in space, right?  Here's the finished playdough product.




And a disclaimer...don't want any friends choking on my watch.  Sigh.




Still reading?  What the heck...here's the whole thing.  Shh--it's a secret 'til Saturday!




Back to work!

No comments: