29 September 2009

Revelation...

I had a revelation today. Let me back up--on Saturday, we spent quite a bit of time hunting resale shops for clothes and shoes for Kayci's class scarecrow. Kayci and I had a bit of a meltdown at the last store over shoes, and we left with both of us grumpy. After a few minutes, we were able to talk it out and come to a compromise, but I have to admit, I was pretty pissed (sorry, there's no other word) at how ungrateful she was. Well, at how ungrateful I thought she was being, I should say. I've spent quite a bit of time the past several days on said scarecrow, and today I had to work in even more scarecrow time between work and a meeting with the Girl Scout recruiter (seriously)...and I have to say, I was feeling like such a MOM. Then I realized something. Kayci doesn't care about the time I spend doing things FOR her...she cares about the time I spend WITH her. Such a little thought, really, but think about it for a second.

Do you get it now? As a parent, I tend to tally up that FOR time...but I should focus that energy on the WITH time. Makes you think, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

YES! Thank you for the reminder.