29 September 2009

g l a m o r o u s

it's a glamorous life i lead, i know...met a friend for coffee this morning at Starbucks (it's becoming a weekly ritual that i really look forward to!), went to the dollar store and spent a LOT more than i'll admit here on stuff for several classroom projects, came home and worked on a report, now it's time to shut the laptop and clean this house of ours. last night i was so tired, i didn't clean up any of the evening madness noble left behind...which means the house is a PIT today, and i've got a lady coming for a meeting at 1:30. so why, you ask, am i blogging and not cleaning? because i haven't written in what feels like forever. i miss it! i've got a lot on my mind and i keep thinking i'll sit down and purge...but seriously, no time right now between work and real life. i just finished reading making work at home work and it was such a blessing for me to sit down and read someone who's been where i'm at, felt what i feel, etc. already i've made a lot of progress with being honest with myself about what i can-and can't-do/commit to and i've forced myself to make time to do the work i need to do, even if the house needs cleaning, etc. i can't live like a stay at home mom and make a full time salary without burning myself out, and i'm over that one. so i'm learning to balance...it's not easy, but it's satisfying. i'm in the middle of a major work thing right now which is consuming my thoughts more than i'd like, but other than that, i've really been able to focus on my kids and BE in the moment. i could totally do better...but for the first time in a long time, i'm not counting the minutes til bedtime so i can get my work done, or resenting the minutes lost when one of them wakes up early in the morning. for the most part (this past sunday excluded), i'm getting my work done during the office hours i've set (thanks to the book, again--novel concept, right, hours??). i won't lie--my house isn't kristi-clean, but it's clean enough (today excluded, of course) to have someone drop by any time and eat. don't eat off the floor if you're not noble, and you'll be okay. so, i'm making progress. oh, and i still count the minutes til bedtime...but that's just 'cause i'm ready for time with my boy, no distractions. :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I had so much fun today, as usual. You are so creative and amazing at what you do. No wonder the district hired you as a consultant. There are some very lucky kids and teachers out there. If I can ever help you put activities together for your classes let me know. I would love to help. I know you are buried with work. You do a great job balancing it all!

Mindy said...

Maybe I should read that book. I don't work at home but do work full-time outside the home. I am also learning the balance of home and work life. I have a 4 month old baby, and I don't want to miss out on any time I can spend with her. Good post!

MommyGirl said...

Heather, right back atcha! I can't wait to show you pics of the first few activities I put together tonight. And thanks for the offer...I might need some help putting together magnets for PTO later this week. Well, and I definitely need someone to help me walk around Round Top... :)

Mindy, I wish I had read the book when I worked full-time as a teacher...I can honestly tell you that for a long time, I was a great teacher and just an okay parent, and that's soooo not okay. You are right--it's all about balance. Canaan is gorgeous--keep enjoying every moment! :)