22 June 2009

I Never...

I remember that game from High School parties and even a few ill-advised college gatherings. It used to be pretty fun, but I won't tell you where I ranked. If you're reading this, you probably know, anyway. :) This morning was a little crazy as mornings tend to be right now...Noble poured an ENTIRE box of cheese crackers on the living room floor when I was in the potty for a few minutes. And yup, of course he rolled around in them so there was more cheesy goodness to spread around. Hmm...that was, of course, in addition to his normal morning messes. I did manage to get the 3 of us dressed and out the door on time, but the cheese crackers had to stay, unfortunately. Yes, this is going somewhere...

...I've been working on a baby gift for Noble's cousin, Shannon. This morning while I waited for Kayci to finish swim lessons, round 2, I started on the note to accompany our gift for Baby Avery. As I was writing, I kept thinking of all the things I said I'd never do as a parent, and then when we got home and I was confronted by this enormous mess, I thought of "I never" again...and how it relates to my parenting. Or lack thereof, it feels sometimes. :)

So, in honor of imperfect parents everywhere, here's the game of "I'll Never" I've been playing in my head today...

1. I'll never have kids sleep in my bed.
2. I'll never let my kids out of the highchair to wander around in a restaurant.
3. I'll never let my kids snack before dinner.
4. I'll never let one of my kids hit/bite/scratch/sass me.
5. I'll never leave my kids unattended to make huge messes.
6. I'll never reuse a diaper.
7. I'll never judge other parents.
8. I'll never compare my kids to other kids.
9. I'll never yell at my kids.
10. I'll never spank my kids when I'm angry.
11. I'll never let my kids walk around in a onesie and nothing else.
12. I'll never let my kids out of the house without brushing their teeth.
13. I'll never forget my kids' lunch money.
14. I'll never forget my kids' homework.
15. I'll never call my kid a dork.
16. I'll never force my kids to do anything they don't want to do.
17. I'll never let my kids go to bed late.
18. I'll never let my kids wake up early.
19. I'll never give my kids everything they want.
20. I'll never spoil my kids.

Oh, the list could go on and on. How about I'll never let my kids eat in the living room while watching tv? Well, that one's out as we're lunching on the couch today since the dining room table is full of a baby gift and stuff I haven't yet put away from the weekend.

Looks like I forgot to post this...oops. I'm so tired today!

No comments: