08 June 2009

Good Enough

Today's the first day of summer! Well, technically, that was either last week or later this month, depending on how you look at it, but for our intents and purposes...it's today! This weekend we had a great weekend at home, in Brenham, and today we woke up to a day where our most pressing plans are swimming lessons. Woo Hoo! Well, at least Woo.

For this summer to work, I've got to get over my mindset of getting a,b,c,d...and so on done each day. For months I've been working on getting to good enough and staying THERE instead of stressing over having everything just so. I won't say having things perfect, because that's not possible, but just having things done my way. The house I've had to let slide a bit...don't be surprised that there's dust on several surfaces that's at least a couple of weeks old. :) The floors aren't always clean enough to eat off, which is a pity as Noble DOES eat off of them...daily. The laundry has been sitting in baskets instead of going straight into drawers. My work stuff is actually in a pile in front of my work closet, and our room is garage sale central. And yes, all of these things can sometimes drive me nuts. I won't even get started on the work I need to do this week, which is sitting on my chest like a 500 pound weight. I have GOT to get over these things and enjoy just being here, right now, with the kids and having lots of great family time. The work will come, even if I have to start working at night and in the morning (which I've gotten away from and I hate to go back to...).

Right now, Noble's taking a nap and Kayci is sitting at the table making a hippopotamus out of blue play-doh. (The store bought kind, since we're talking good enough.) I have been filling out references and getting the rent ready to mail and thinking about cleaning floors...but then when I noticed Kayci was looking a little bored I stopped and gave her the "assignment" of looking in every drawer and every cubby in the office and making a list of what's inside. My thought was that she'd rediscover some of the things she's lost track of...James and I were sitting on the deck last night, having a beer and enjoying the evening and we talked a bit about how many times we heard some variation of "I'm bored" this weekend, even though we were having tons of fun and were outside all weekend. We agreed that she needs to relearn how to play and keep herself occupied, so I'm hoping that seeing her cool stuff will get her excited again. i think my evil plan might be working--she didn't even get through the first cubby before she said, "Mommy, when I'm done with my work can I play with play doh?" I didn't even crack a smile when I told her she could work later and play with play doh now. :)

We have all summer to look forward to...it's a cool feeling. I have a lot of work stuff to get done, but it'll get done. Today's the FIRST DAY. I need to cut myself some slack so I can enjoy this time with the kiddos. Speaking of, I'd better hop up before Noble wakes up. Hope you're having a great day, wherever you are!!

1 comment:

Rachel and Brian said...

If it makes you feel any better, we've got things totally under control over at ESY! (After my many nervous phone calls..) :) Hope you had a great weekend!