06 November 2013

days 5 & 6

I'm commuting 3 days in a row this week, but I'm also trying to be respectful of my Boy's wishes that I work closer to the contracted 20 hours.  So, I did a bit of creative scheduling to make sure I'm in district for meetings each day and classroom visits...I'm still over the 20 hours, but I feel like I've accomplished something since I'll be here for drop off and Bible Study this morning before I go in to work, and I was home for dinner last night.  Hopefully I'll be home for dinner tonight, then tomorrow will be a regular long day so I can fit in several classroom visits before an afternoon meeting.  While I'm struggling at home to balance the hours at work, I'm also struggling at work to balance time in meetings/trainings with time in classrooms with teachers and kids...it feels right now that I'm out of whack everywhere, and I'm thinking that feeling that way is the first step toward figuring out a way to work it all out.  Right??

It's progress, y'all, and I'll take it.  :)

I thought a lot about gratitude on the way home yesterday, and I realize how blessed I am to have the opportunities that I have career-wise.

day 5:  I'm thankful to work in a district that does what's best for kids.  The more I learn about education, the more I see that where I am is exactly where I want to be...and I'm grateful.

I'm also grateful for the beautiful sunrises and sunsets I experience on the road.



day 6:  I just read a thought-provoking blog post about kids not being the center of their Mom's world.  It hit home with me because I share a lot of her views on child-rearing.

Today, I'm thankful for independent kids.  These knuckleheads waited until SUNDAY to carve their pumpkin because they wanted to do it all by themselves...it's a long story that involves thrill points and photo shoots and commuting and a crazy life.  But the end result is the same:  they did it all by themselves.  It's this independence and responsibility that allowed us to get the kittens, because we knew the kids could handle taking care of them.  I realize that it's pretty rare to have kids that do what they're supposed to do because they're supposed to do it, and I appreciate it.


Man, I love these knuckleheads!  That's been the hardest part about all of the commuting, not seeing them in the mornings and not being here for my favorite after school time.  I love talking to them about their day when they get in the car, and those after school hours are some of our very best times.  Well, I think it's fair to say they used to be--they're pretty rare these days.  

I've only gone in late a couple of times, and I cherish mornings like this when I can have a "normal" morning at home and THEN go in to work.  I also love the days I don't have to go in to work at all, I won't lie.  :)  

I hope y'all have a great, grateful day.  If you're not already, I encourage you to practice gratitude with your kids this month (and always!).  It's a little thing that can make a huge difference in attitude!


No comments: