17 April 2009

So much to say...

In a situation like this, I don't want to intrude on Dad's privacy and overshare, and at the same time, there's just so much to say.  After a great Easter celebration this weekend, Dad took a turn for the worse.  He's here at home, as he wanted, and we've all gathered to be with him and to celebrate him and our family.  In true Clarkson fashion, we've been eating and laughing and eating and watching bad tv and eating and looking at pictures of Grandpa with the grandkids.  The past few days feel very unreal, and I wonder what, in fact, we'll all remember about this time.  After the nurse told us yesterday afternoon that Dad wouldn't regain consciousness, it was hard.  My first thought?  I don't remember the last thing he said.  Then, I don't remember the last thing he said to ME.  I wrote down that on Wednesday night he told Kayci, "Goodnight, sweetheart, I love you."  That's enough.  So, there's a lot on my mind, but I'm also, strangely, at peace.  Dad doesn't appear to be in any pain, and he's been very quiet and restful since yesterday.  Only God knows how long he'll go on like this, and again, that's enough.  It's enough to be here, and I'm grateful that our entire family is here under one roof with Mom & Dad.  It's enough.  

No comments: