09 April 2009

The Internet v. Real-Life...

2 blogs in one day?  Unheard of!  You'd think I didn't have a pile of work waiting, but this is on my heart this morning and I wanted to put it out there.  A friend of mine, who I just think the world of, wrote in her blog about how when she looks at her friends' lives it seems like everyone is doing more exciting things than she is, etc.  I suspect that, like me, this friend was, if not a nerd, then at least part of the "smart crowd" in high school.  I was a nerd, btw, and that's okay.  Here's the thing that I've realized though...

When I look at my friends on Facebook, most of them are my old high school friends or acquaintances.  And yes, most of them were movers and shakers in high school and very intelligent.  It makes sense that they're spread out all over the country and all over the world, actually, doing great things, living big lives.  They're great people, and smart people.  And while I don't mean to take anything away from anyone, Facebook--and yes, even a blog--isn't exactly real-life.  It's kind of like watching "the Hills"--it's reality, but just kind of.  On Facebook we can control which pictures of ourselves we post and which parts of ourselves--and our lives--that we share.  I sure don't update every time I get snippy with my boy or raise my voice at Kayci, or every time I didn't get the laundry put away or the dishes done.  I don't, and I don't have to.  :)  A lot of people will post an update when they've been to the gym or have something exciting going on or are traveling...because these are things that are interesting and start conversations.  It's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is--people don't want to talk about the fact that I didn't make it to work out this week.  Why?  Well, like me, they probably don't care.  But also, it makes them feel bad because they didn't do it, either.  And for those who did make it in, me posting when I DO go makes you feel good because it affirms that, too.  

I'm rambling, and I have a ton of work waiting on me.  But this is for my friend the rookie...it's okay that your life (and MY life!) isn't big and flashy and exciting all the time.  Not all of us are made for that.  I'll let you in on one of my dirty secrets:  I was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" back in 1992.  Would my classmates look at my little life and little house and think I've succeeded?  Probably not, because my version of success doesn't fit the world's view.  And again, that's okay...because it's right for me.  That's what's important--doing what's right for you, not necessarily what looks cool to the rest of the world.  So just keep doing what you're doing, rookie, and being who you are--because who you are is AMAZING.  

No comments: