24 December 2008

Mary's Little Boy

I wonder if all parents think about this at Christmas...

Let me start with, last week was our final week of Dave Ramsey.  The last lesson is about giving, and he tells a story about when it really hit home to him about John 3:16--one morning when Dave's son woke up early and wandered into the kitchen where Daddy was doing his Bible study.  He said that sitting there, holding his little boy, it really hit him what God gave up for us--His own, only Son.  And that's stuck with me since Sunday...honestly, now that I have a little boy, it means something entirely new to me.  Since I've been a parent, it's been hard for me to even think about--much less comprehend--the sacrifice that God made for us, through His Son.  It's too big to even describe, and you know I'm wordy and I'd try.  But it's too big.  

There's more, though.  Kayci's Nana gave her a book for Christmas about the animals in the stable, how there's always room for a Little One.  After lunch I was rocking Noble and Kayci came over and piled in the chair and I read that book to them.  As I was reading, Noble was being Noble--smiling around his bottle, sticking his finger up my nose (and then trying to stick the same finger in my mouth), rubbing and then pinching my cheeks...just being, as we say around here, a boy.  And then when the book was done and Kayci moved on to something more exciting, it was just Nobley Obley and me, here in the red chair in a mostly dark living room.  It was quiet and for a moment I just looked into his eyes, wondering at the mischief and pure joy I could see.  And then he started being Noble again, trying to roll over and then giggling when I'd roll him back and cuddle him.  That only lasted a minute, and then he was asleep.  I looked down at him with lunch crusted in his hair, snot shiny on his nose, a hint of a smile on his sleeping mouth...and the love I felt was overwhelming.  And I thought about Mary, and about her raising a little boy named Jesus.  I think he must have been, at least at times, silly and wonderful and messy and mischievous.  And I wonder if there were times that Mary would have gladly wrung his neck, as I think all Moms must feel that way at least once in a while.  :)  It's just so much to even think about...I know as a human I can't comprehend the greatness of Jesus' life or the hugeness of the sacrifice.  But I'm grateful, and I think that has to be enough.  It's hard enough being a first time Mommy, but to have GOD'S baby...geez, no pressure, Mary.  Poor girl!   Brave girl...

No comments: