31 October 2013

The Great Pumpkin...Debate




This is one of Noble's art projects from October.  I think it's beautiful...though the teacher in me is bothered by how many of his projects from art class look like an adult did the bulk of the work.  I know many parents prefer "beautiful" art...but my favorite art is always what comes from a child's own heart, and hands.  

But that's not what this post is about.  

On Sunday, I wore my jack-o-lantern shirt to church with a cute skirt and a cardi.  
(I'm wearin' it again today, actually.)

As I went to sit down, one of my favorite 5 year old boys was sitting in the row behind us.  He said, so respectfully in his sweet voice, "Mrs. Pharaon, do y'all celebrate Halloween?"

Yes, we do (his name).  

"Well, you should stop."  He said a couple more things, but I was stuck right there.  I told him that I think we should definitely talk about it.  His sisters, who are lovely young ladies, may have been a bit embarrassed at him speaking to me about such a sensitive subject, but I wasn't embarrassed at all.  
What a witness, y'all!

Because that 5 year old had brought up an inner debate I've been having for the past few years, and this year it has really intensified.

I've read a lot about how some Christians celebrate and some don't...I don't want to be like the crazy family down the street who blacks out their house and pretends not to be home on Halloween.  I want our family to be a light in the darkness.  I enjoy going door to door and meeting neighbors and enjoying fellowship and smiling at the little faces that march up to our door.  That part of Halloween, I love.

But the part that celebrates death, even jokingly?  That part has been troubling me for a while.

I don't know what the answer is, but my Boy brought it up to me a couple of days ago and I think we're at a point where we need to do some more research and just see where the Spirit leads us.  

Either way, I'm looking forward to family time today.   

It's good to stop and think not only about what we do, but why.  Even when it's scary.  


No comments: