22 November 2011

Saying Goodbye to Grandma


10 days ago, Grandma Curtis passed away.  It's been hard saying goodbye to her, even though we kinda knew it was coming.  Part of what makes it hard is that we were planning to have Thanksgiving with her this year...the first time this branch of the family has shared that meal in over 20 years.  It's kind of a big deal.  And even though I'm happy for Grandma, and so grateful that she's no longer tired or in pain, I'm sad for us because our family has lost an amazing person.  For someone so small, she was larger than life. The stories she told...and what's crazy is, they were mostly true.  Grandma's life, from start to finish, was one big adventure.  One of the reasons I loved her is that she loved James, unconditionally, and was probably his biggest fan--every child needs to be loved like that.  There's so much I could say about Grandma.  She was a mess, she was fun, she was thoughtful and kind...she loved our kids and never failed to ask about them, or me, or James, depending on who she was talking to.  She wasn't self-centered, even when she probably had the right to be.  A couple of years ago we had the opportunity to have Grandma visit for a long November weekend, which was the most time I ever spent with her all at once.  We had fun, but the best part was just talking to her.  Grandma and I were so very different--she's way more fun and adventurous than I am!--but we had a love of family in common.

It's hard letting go of Grandma, and we already miss her.  James wrote a beautiful note about her if you've got a few minutes.  Yesterday at the service he read it, and I was struck once again by what an amazing man he's grown to be.  I give Grandma and Granddaddy lots of credit for the man he is, and I'm forever grateful to them for that.

No comments: