19 June 2011

More Than a Father

I know father's day is winding down, but I couldn't let it pass without saying something to my Boy.

Right now "we're" watching True Grit, your pick...you're sitting on the couch, fast asleep.  I know if I wake you up you'll insist you are awake and have been watching the whole time.  You've been working around the clock for the past couple of months and have run yourself ragged.  I hope you know how much I (we) appreciate that.  

Yesterday was Kayci's 8th birthday.  At first, I thought to myself, we've been parents for 8 years.  But that's not really true, is it?  As far as we are concerned, we became parents on that October night almost 9 years ago when you kept giving me Pepsi so I could take more pregnancy tests.  I think we both grew up a little that night, and I know we both grew up when Kayci came along almost 9 months later.  It's been an amazing journey, to say the least.  These past 8 years have brought unimaginable joy and nearly unbearable sorrow, but you have been there through it all, standing strong.


You have been my best friend for 15 years, Boy, and I have loved you for so long I can't remember what it feels like not to share my heart with you.  You have seen me at my best and at my worst, and loved me through it all.  Thank you for that unconditional love that you show me, and maybe more importantly, our children.  I know you are far from perfect, but you are what God has called you to be.  You are so much more than a father.  You are a Daddy.  You are ours, and we are blessed.  I love you so big, and Kayci and Noble love you even bigger, they'd say.  I don't know about that--we all love you big, big, bigger than the world.


Happy father's day, Boy.  And by the way, you slept through the whole movie.  Again.  :)

No comments: