18 April 2013

All Your Heart

My whole life, I've heard variations of, "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."  I generally follow that rule, even if most of the time I do it well at the very last minute.  :)  This verse was in one of my devotionals this week, and has been running through my head on a constant loop:

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."
Colossians 3:23

Admit it, you hear the Stephen Curtis Chapman song in your head now, don't you?

"To do every little thing to the glory of the One who made you..."

It's true, isn't it?  Every time I say yes to a job, I have a choice--I can get it done and do enough...or I can do it to the best of my ability.  This isn't such a struggle with work, because I want my work to be awesome.  It's my name, after all.

Ah, but what about my other jobs?  You know, wife, mother, housekeeper, chauffeur, event planner, vomit cleaner...many of us, myself included, think of these as secondary.  If we have a job outside of the home, we identify ourselves that way.  If we used to have a job outside of the home but don't anymore, we might say we don't have a job right now.  And some of us wear the SAHM badge proudly.

But no matter if we pay our bills with our paychecks or our husband's or a combination of the two, I argue that our family, our home is our job, as well.  Whether we do it part time (around our work schedule) or full time.  Have I written about this lately?  It's been on my mind a LOT.  The Lord has really been working on my heart and my attitude, and I can feel the difference.

It's time for me to get ready to hit the road for a big day of workshops, but before I go I wanted to put this out there...are you doing everything you do today for the glory of the Lord?  Are you working on your house, with your kids, for your husband, with the right heart?  If not, then step back and regroup.  Talk to God about it--if you ask, He'll show you a better way.

And if you're off to work, even if it's been a crappy week, then take a step back and regroup.  Yes, pray--let God adjust your attitude.

No matter what you're doing today,


"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."
Colossians 3:23

No comments: